One of the best things you can do to protect your liver is to bring more movement and exercise into your day.
Your liver is essential for life. It performs over 500 vital functions every day.
One of the best things you can do to protect this amazing organ is to bring more movement and exercise into your day.
That’s because overweight and lack of physical activity are leading causes of liver disease in Australia.
Moving more is also like medicine for people who have liver disease. For example, research shows that regular exercise can significantly improve fat in the liver.
Physical activity will help you be a healthy weight and will help with other problems like high blood pressure and cholesterol. It will improve your mood, too.
One of the easiest ways is just to keep moving all through the day. Making some small adjustments will make a world of difference to your liver.
- Park your car a little further away so you have to walk instead
- Take public transport instead of driving; get off the bus one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way
- Use the stairs instead of the lift or escalator
- Do some vigorous gardening, dusting or vacuuming
- Walk to the park and eat lunch
- Sit less – organise a walking meeting or use a standing desk
- Walk over to speak to your colleague in the office rather than sending an email, or walk around while you’re on your mobile phone
You can even make it a social affair, and go for a walk with family or friends. That way exercise could be something you really look forward to.
Small steps really help.